Monday, March 04, 2024

Family Services & Resources


Adult Basic Education, GED, brush up ESL and Adult Diploma Program McKnight 36 Plaza - 651-779-5666

Mounds View/Pike Lake Education Center - 651-639-6039

North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale/Harmony Alternative Programs - 651-748-6200

Roseville Adult Learning Center - 651-604-3553

White Bear Lake/Harmony Alternative Programs - 651-748-6200

Minnesota Literacy Council - (651) 645-2277
Referrals to adult literacy, English as a Second Language, GED, high school diploma and other adult basic education services.

Ramsey County Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - (651) 266-4444
MFIP eligible adults have access to job training provided through various employment service agencies; career planning leading to self-sufficiency and job placement.

Ronald Hubbs Center for Lifelong Learning - (651) 290-4822
Adult education including GED, brush-up, English as a Second Language, and adult diploma program.


Children’s Home Society and Family Services Crisis Nursery - (651) 641-1300
Short-term crisis childcare for families in crisis or under stress; 24-hour crisis counseling.

MFIP Child Care Assistance Program - (651) 266-4019
For families on MFIP taking part in work activities.

Resources for Child Caring - Child Care Resource and Referral - (651) 641-0332
Childcare referrals and information helping families find quality childcare; Sliding-fee child program - Child Care Assistance (651) 641-6665.


Arc Greater Twin Cities - (763) 783-4958
Family and individual advocacy for those with developmental disabilities.

Discapacitados abriendose caminos - (651) 293-1748
Provides support and services to Latino families and their children with special needs.

Early Childhood Information and Referral (ECI & R) - (651) 604-3700
Information and resources for families who have questions or concerns about the development of their children, ages birth to six.

Family Support Connection - (651) 265-2435
Information and support for families with deaf or hard of hearing children.

Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis - (612) 334-5970
Legal advocacy for persons with disabilities regarding civil matters arising out of their disability.

March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation - (952) 835-3033
Education programs and nationwide network of medical services; information about birth defects.

Metro Mobility - (651) 602-1111
Door to door transportation for persons unable to use regular bus service due to disability; fees charged.

Metropolitan Center for Independent Living - (651) 646-8342
Advocacy; information and referral; consumer issue hotline.

Minnesota State Council on Disability - (651) 296-6785
Information and referral regarding resources for equipment legislation, and structural/program access.

MN Children with Special Health Needs (MCSHN) - (651) 201-3650
Information, referral, clinic services and assistance with medical diagnosis for children with special health care needs. Health care coverage for income eligible families of children with special health needs.

MN Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (MOFAS) - (651) 351-3152
Provides resources and support for families living with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD).

PACER Center - (952) 838-9000
Parents helping parents to understand and implement their child’s right to a free appropriate education; workshop, newsletters, publications, resource list of state and national disability organizations.

Ramsey County Developmental Disabilities Services - (651) 266-4500
Children with significant developmental delays may qualify for social services including respite care, in-home family support services, home adaptations, special expenses, and/or residential care.

Resources for Child Caring, Special Needs Program - (651) 641-6644
Helps children with special needs find and keep quality childcare. Individual consultation with families and providers to help children remain in their care. Also a respite resource, information, support and training about special needs.

State Services for the Blind - (651) 642-0500
Serving citizens who are blind or have visual impairments.

Supplemental Security Income - (651) 290-0054
Provides monthly income to children who meet the SSI criteria for disability and low family income .

Vocational Rehabilitation Services - (651) 284-5038 Services to people with disabilities to help prepare for work or to find or keep a job.


Alley Shoppe - (651) 776-8708
Free clothing and household items available through Arlington Hills Church for those with referral slip from social worker.

Birthright - (651) 646-7033
Emergency assistance to pregnant women and new mothers; maternity clothes, layettes, etc.

Dayton Avenue Presbyterian Church Clothing Center - (651) 227-7389
Clothing Center provides free clothing to anyone in need.

Department of Indian Work - (651) 644-2768
Low cost clothing and baby layettes; available to area Native Americans.

Dorothy Day Center - (651) 293-1919
Clothing and furniture vouchers.

God’s Closet - (651) 771-4627
Adult and children’s clothing; donations suggested, but no one turned away.

Goodwill/Easter Seals - (651) 603-1544
Low cost furniture, clothing, and household goods; several locations.

Hallie Q. Brown Community Center - (651) 224-4601
Free clothing distribution.

Joseph’s Coat - (651) 291-2472
Free seasonal clothes, personal care products and small household items such as pots, pans and bedding.

Life Care Center East- (651) 776-2328
Cribs, diapers, baby clothes.

Martha’s Closet
Women need a written referral from a social service agency; have work clothing for women re-entering the workforce.

Penny Pinchers Clothing - (763) 783-3626
Low cost houseware and clothing from infant to adult sizes; free clothing is available with a voucher from a social worker.

Ready for Success
Women need a referral from a social service agency;  have work clothing for women re-entering the workforce.

St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store - (651) 227-1332
Low cost clothing, furniture, and household items.

Salvation Army Thrift Store - (651) 771-7779
Low cost clothing, furniture, and household items.

Swap Shop, Church of St. Luke - (651) 227-7669
Free clothing and small household items available to those in need.


Bright Smiles Dental Clinics - (651) 298-8566
Most insurance plans accepted. No patient charge or co-pay for children under 5 and younger on preventive services. Language spoken: Spanish.

Century College Dental Clinic - (651) 779-5787
Low cost dental hygiene services performed by dental hygiene students.

Children’s Dental Services - (612) 746-1530
Provides culturally targeted, comprehensive dental services to children ages birth to 18 and pregnant women at four locations in Ramsey County. Accepts all forms of insurance and has a sliding fee scale. Staff speak 15 different languages.

Community Dental Care - (651) 774-2959
Offers family dentistry, including sealants, x-rays, cleanings, fluoride treatments, hygiene instructions, fillings, root canals, crowns, bridges, dentures, and most extractions. Accepts most insurance, self-pay, Medical Assistance, General Assistance and Medicaid. Languages spoken: English, Farsi, French, Hindi, Hmong, Lao, Romanian, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Helping Hand Dental Clinic - (651) 224-7561
Accepts most insurance plans including Medical Assistance and other public assistance. Sliding fee scale is based on federal poverty guidelines of income and family size. Comprehensive dental care is offered. Languages spoken: French, Hmong, Romanian, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Open Cities Health Center - (651) 290-9200
Accepts most insurance plans including Medical Assistance and other public assistance. Sliding fee scale is based on federal poverty guidelines of income and family size. Two clinic sites. Same day appointments on a first call bases; please call for an appointment. Languages spoke: Hmong, Somali and Spanish.

Union Gospel Mission - (651) 292-1721
Dental services for those without dental insurance, those who have been turned down at other clinics due to finances and those without the means to pay for necessary dental services. Serving adults and children.

West Side Dental Clinic - (651) 602-7575
Accepts most insurance plans including Medical Assistance and other public assistance. Sliding fee scale is based on federal poverty guidelines of income and family size. Comprehensive dental care is offered. Languages spoken: French, Hmong, Romanian, Spanish and Vietnamese.


Private - There are many private schools throughout Ramsey County. Classes range from preschool through high school and adult classes. The Department of Children Families and Learning maintains a current listing of licensed schools. (651) 582-8200

Public - Every school district administers many types of educational and support programs. Listed below are some of those programs. Call each district for specific information.

Adult Learning Center Child Care Programs Community Education, and English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes Early Childhood - ages 0-5 Elementary and Middle Schools - ages 6-14 High Schools - ages 15-18 Parenting Support Services

Ramsey County Public School Districts:

Mounds View #621 - (651) 636-3650 North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale #622 - (651) 748-7622

Roseville #623 - (651) 635-1600

St. Paul #625 - (651) 767-8100

White Bear Lake #624 - (651) 407-7500
Early Childhood Programs - Ages 0-5

Early Childhood Information and Referral of Ramsey County - (651) 604-3700
Information and resources for families who have questions or concerns about the development of their children, ages birth to six.

Early Childhood Screening

This service is available to all children three to five years of age. Children are screened for vision, speech, hearing, and development. This service is free and required by state law. Parents should call their local school district for information.

Mounds View - (651) 639-6028

North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale - (651) 748-7289

Roseville - (651) 604-3515

St. Paul - (651) 632-3746

White Bear Lake - (651) 773-6186

Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)

Coordination of appropriate special education services and related services for children birth through school entry.

Mounds View - (651) 639-6036

North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale - (651) 748-7210

Roseville - (651) 487-4383

St. Paul - (651) 696-9650

White Bear Lake - (651) 653-3100

Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE)

Classes for parents and their children ages birth to kindergarten. Special family events, home visits and toy lending libraries are typically available. Call for a schedule of classes and programs.

Mounds View - (651) 639-6028

North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale - (651) 748-7280

Roseville - (651) 487-4378

St. Paul - (651) 793-5410

White Bear Lake - (651) 653-3100

Frogtown Family Resource Center - (651) 290-8376

Payne/Phalen Family Resource Center - (651) 293-5990

School Readiness

A program for children ages 3 1/2 to 5 which helps children prepare for kindergarten; referrals are usually made after the child has participated in Early Childhood Screening.

Mounds View - (651) 639-6028

North St. Paul, Maplewood, Oakdale - (651) 748-7290

Roseville - (651) 604-3578

St. Paul - (651) 793-5430

White Bear Lake - (651) 653-3100

Beginnings In-Home Therapy through Lifetrack Resources - (651) 603-5837
Designed to positively influence the attachment between parents and their children birth to 3.

Early Head Start - (651) 603-5832
Free child development, parent education and family support for children ages 0-3, pregnant women and their families. Income guidelines apply. Home visits and parent to parent support.

Head Start - (651) 603-5977
Educational preschool program for children between the ages of 3 and 5 from families with limited incomes; programs for children with special needs. Both full day and 1/2 day center based programs are available. All programs offer family support, health, oral health, mental health services, parenting resources and literary opportunities.


Energy Assistance - (651) 645-6470
Limited financial assistance to pay utility and fuel bills, October - May.

FAIM (Family Assets for Independence in MN) - (651) 645-6445
Savings matching program that helps people increase their savings in order to help achieve financial independence. Program eligibility is based on income.

Heatshare (Salvation Army) - (651) 224-6946
Financial assistance for heating expenses.

Ramsey County Financial Assistance - (651) 266-4444
General information about how to apply for basic financial and employment support; TANF, (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), or MFIP, (Minnesota Family Investment Plan) and emergency funds for utility shut-off and eviction notices.

Ways to Work Loan Program - (651) 645-6445
Interest-free vehicle loan for working parents who meet eligibility requirements.


Children’s Home Society and Family Service - (651) 222-0311
Budget counseling; sliding fee for services.

Consumer Credit Counseling Service/Family Means - (651) 789-4014
Financial counseling on a sliding fee.

Credit Advisors - 1-800-942-9027
Credit and debt management counseling.


Some fire departments offer fire safety information and free smoke detectors or batteries for smoke detectors to local residents.

Arden Hills - (651) 633-2404

Falcon Heights - (651) 644-5575

Little Canada - (651) 766-4057

Maplewood - (651) 249-2804

Mounds View - (763) 786-4436

New Brighton - (651) 638-2168

North Oaks - (651) 633-2404

North St. Paul - (651) 770-4480

Roseville - (651) 792-7342

Shoreview - (651) 633-2404

St. Paul - (651) 228-6230

White Bear Lake - (651) 429-8568

Juvenile Fire Setting Intervention Program - 1-800-500-8897

Program for children ages 3-17 who play with fire.
St. Paul - (651) 228-6203

Northeast Safety Town Program - (651) 748-7280
Summer program for children entering kindergarten in the fall. Covers personal safety, water safety, use of 9-1-1, bicycle and street safety, fire safety, school bus and school patrol safety.  Some police and fire departments look at your child’s car seat to determine if it has been installed correctly. Call the station near your home and ask them if they provide car seat installation inspections.


Caroline Family Services - (651) 772-1344
Transitional housing and housing support services for low-income women with children who are homeless.

Children’s Home Society and Family Services - (651) 222-0311
First time home buyer education program.

East Metro Women’s Council - (651) 773-8401
Supportive housing for homeless and low-income families with children.

Emma’s Place - (651) 224-1329
Permanent, affordable housing for homeless single parents with four or more children.

Emergency Social Services - (651) 291-6795
After-hours response for Ramsey County Social Services, weekdays 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. and 24 hours weekends and holidays.

Habitat for Humanity - (612) 331-4090
Helps low-income families build their own homes.

Housing Link - Call United Way 2-1-1 - 2-1-1 or (651) 291-0211 for cell phone users Low to moderate income rental housing information.

Jackson Street Village - (651) 558-5980
Permanent supportive housing for homeless, chemically dependent and/or mentally ill parents and their children.

Lutheran Social Services - (651) 644-7739
Youth transitional living program for persons ages 16-21.

Model Cities of St. Paul, Families First Supportive Housing - (651) 632-8344
Provides homeless, chemically dependent single parents with permanent, affordable, chemically-free housing.

Naomi Family Residence - (651) 222-7962
Transitional housing for women and children; parenting programs.

St. Paul Home Loan Fund - (651) 266-6626
Mortgage foreclosure prevention and housing counseling for St. Paul residents.

St. Paul Public Housing Agency - (651) 298-5158
Subsidized housing for low-income families.

The Family Place - (651) 225-9354
Crisis shelter intake for homeless families; support and social services for homeless families.

The ROOF Project - (651) 642-2005
Scattered-site transitional housing for homeless families with children.

Theresa Living Center - (651) 774-5594
Transitional housing for single women, pregnant women and women with one child 5 and under.

YWCA Transitional Housing Program - (651) 293-9296
Transitional housing for low-income, homeless women and their children.


Centro Legal - (651) 642-1890
Bilingual (Spanish/English) legal services for low-income Latinos; immigration law; services for battered women.

Chrysalis - 612) 871-0118
Legal education for women; attorney referral.

Ombudspersons - (651) 603-0058
Ombudspersons are advocates for African American, American Indian, Asian Pacific and Spanish speaking families to assure that laws governing the protection of children and their families are implemented in a culturally appropriate manner.

Project HOPE - Homeless Outreach Prevention and Education - (651) 842-1501
Free legal advice to homeless or near homeless people.

Resource Center for Fathers and Families - (763) 783-4938
Family law clinic for dads; issues dealt with include divorce, custody, child support, visitation, etc.

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS) - (651) 222-4731
Free legal assistance to income eligible families and individuals for limited civil matters and welfare appeals.


Workforce Centers are neighborhood-based access points designed to help job seekers find and keep a job, transition from welfare to work, advance in careers or change careers. Services include employment resources, financial resources, support and community-building resources.

McKnight 36 Plaza - 651-779-5666

St. Paul/Midway - 651-642-0363

Women Achieving New Directions (WAND) - (651) 604-3516
Career exploration and job advancement information through educational workshops for lower income, employed, single moms.

Promise Program - (651) 224-3024
Teaches and supports women seeking self-suffiency by providing career training in computers, office skills, and personal development in a Christian setting.


Department of Indian Work - (651) 644-2768
Emergency food shelf; will serve non-Native American on referral.

Dorothy Day Center - (651) 293-1919
Free meals; food shelf available to those unable to access local food shelf.

FARE for All (formerly FARE Share) - (763) 450-3880
Food for approximately half price in exchange for two hours of community service; no income eligibility requirements; numerous sites.

Food Shelves

To find the nearest food shelf call United Way 2-1-1 at 2-1-1 or (651) 291-0211 for cell phone users.

Food Stamps - (651) 266-4444
Apply in person at 160 East Kellogg; call for information about application procedures.

Mothers and Children (MAC Program) - (651) 484-8241
Supplement food program for pregnant women, breast-feeding women, and children up to the age of 6; income eligibility.

Ramsey County Women Infant Child Program (WIC) - (651) 266-1300
Supplemental food and nutrition program for children through age 5, pregnant women, and mothers who are breast feeding; income eligibility; health screening and nutrition counseling is also available.

Second Harvest Heartland - St. Paul Office - (651) 484-5117
Call for food shelf information and location.

U of M Extension Service (Ramsey County) - (651) 704-2080
Food and nutrition education for qualified individuals and families.


Fairview Shuttle Bug - (651) 604-3535
Provides transportation for families participating in the Roseville Area School’s School Readiness classes and also serves older adults of the Roseville School District.

Lake Area Dial-A-Ride - (651) 644-8876
Dial-a-Ride and bus transportation for residents of Birchwood, Gem Lake, Mahtomedi, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township, and Willernie.

Metro Transit - (612) 373-3333
Bus routes and schedules.

Northeast Suburban Transit (NEST) - (651) 227-6378
Dial-a-ride services for residents of Oakdale, Maplewood, Landfall and North St. Paul. M-F, 6 am – 6 pm; $2 per ride.

Online Bill Pay

Patient Testimonials

"Whether I’m the first appointment in the morning or the last appointment in the afternoon, the doctors at Parkway Family Physician are always pleasant, calm and acts as though they have all the time in the world for me.  Before finding Parkway Family Physicians, I once saw a doctor who rushed into the exam room, coat tails flapping behind him, as he dictated notes from the previous patient. That entire appointment was a bit like being hit by a whirlwind.  I prefer Parkway calm.”