Logo


Google+
Saturday, July 24, 2021
Friday, 14 November 2014 14:06

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In the Home

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Every year thousands of Americans are sickened by carbon monoxide (CO gas). Between 1999–2010 5,149 deaths occurred from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. Because CO gas is colorless and odorless, it's important to take steps to prevent it from accumulating in the home.

Tips To Prevent CO Gas Poisoning in the Home

  • Never use gas or charcoal heaters or cooking appliance designed for outdoor use indoors
  • Ensure that your home's heating system is working safely by having an annual cleaning and safety inspection.
  • Check gas water heater and dryer vents for visible soot stains, blockage and corrosion. An improperly vented appliance can cause exhaust fumes to enter the home.
  • Never use a gas oven or range to heat your home

Install and Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors

It's important that every level of your home with bedrooms have a working CO detector installed. When a CO detector detects and elevated level of dangerous gas, an alarm will go off alerting you of potentially dangerous levels of CO gas.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

  • Dull headache 
  • Weakness 
  • Dizziness 
  • Nausea 
  • Vomiting 
  • Shortness of breath 
  • Confusion 
  • Blurred vision

If you experience these symptoms you should get everyone (including pets) out of the home. Seek emergency medical treatment immediately and try to remain still to conserve oxygen in the blood.

Read 2585 times Last modified on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 14:10