Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
Parkway Family Physicians is dedicated to creating a culture of wellness for all of our patients by encouraging small lifestyle changes and better choices. The best opportunities to do so are in the areas of disease prevention and health promotion.
We have all read newspaper articles and heard TV and Radio newscasts that obesity is dramatically increasing among adults and children. Chronic diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes, have become quiet killers. Those diseases, many of which are preventable and manageable, by all of us making better choices and living healthier lifestyles.
In supporting our culture of wellness . . . or what we at Parkway call the Human Tune Up can help maximize your chances for living a longer, healthier life. We would be happy to discuss in detail ways you can live better and live longer. The following are just a few tips to get you going:
- Make sure all immunizations and vaccines are up to date.
- Schedule annual physical examinations and ask us questions, lots of questions about your health and care.
- Stop using tobacco.
- Get more exercise, even a simple walk does the body good!
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat one or, better still, two portions of oily fish each week.
- Get enough calcium in your diet.
- Be moderate in your intake of red meats.
- Watch your weight; do not let yourself get seriously overweight.
- Practice moderation in regard to sugar, salt and of course alcohol.
To help you live a longer, healthier life, we have created a special page on our website titled “Healthy Lifestyles” here you will find information, articles, recipes and more. We hope you find this to be useful and enjoyable.